My career begins with research on sexually transmitted infection (STI) among Bangladeshi people at International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh (icddr,b) under supervision of Dr. Jozef Bogaerts, Head of STI unit. I worked there as 'Research officer' from April/1999 until Oct/2005 in a collaborative research project, titled “Sexually transmitted infection in Bangladeshi people” between icddr,b and Belgium. The overall project management enhanced my team-work ability with other research students and developed my communication skills among patients, study doctors, community health workers and principle investigator (PI). During my research experiences I acquire extensive knowledge about different sexually transmitted organisms with their detection, identification, infectious genome sequence and infection process among high risk people in Bangladesh such as sex worker, truck driver etc. In 2001, I was invited as research fellow by Belgium Government to enhance my knowledge about gene isolation, gene cloning, gene expression and site directed mutagenesis at Rega Institute of Katholeik University of Leuven. I started my teaching career as Lecturer position to the Department of Microbiology, Jahangirnagar University since 2006. My employer University permit me to pursue my PhD on “Genetic diversity of noroviruses in Bangladesh”. In 2011, I transitioned into PhD research program under the mentorship of Professor. Shahabuddin Kabir Choudhuri at Jahagirnagar University and Dr. Mustafizur Rahman under a collaboration program of virology laboratory, icddr,b and the Department of Pharmacy, Jahangirnagar University. The program has taught me extensive expertise on causative agents of viral diarrhea among hospitalized patients, examining diarrheal virus infections to cell lines, bioinformatics analyses from online databases and subsequent molecular biology techniques, like amplification of diarrhea causing virus genes, their sequencing, blasting and observe their natural recombination. I have led several research projects in department of Microbology, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh, and mentoring several MS students. I have published 23 research papers with more than 250 citations in different reputed peer reviewed journals. Currently, I am trying to build up one health research laboratory in Department of Microbiology, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh.
Clinical Microbiology, Antimicrobial resistance, Molecular biology and Virology
1. Nihad Adnan, Mainul Haque, Taslin Jahan Mou, Salequl Islam, Shamsun Nahar, Kona Chowdhury,
Taslima Zaman, Farhana Akter, Sabrina Sharmin, Nadia Nusrat, Rumana Kabir, Nirmal Kanti
Biswas, Santosh Kumar, Paras Sharma, Afzalunnessa Binte Lutfor, Tosaddeque Hossain Siddiqui, Ayukafangha Etando, Rahnuma Ahmad, Adnan Abdullah, Brian Godman. The Impact of COVID-19 on The Teaching of Non-Medical Healthcare Professionals in Bangladesh:
Observations and Implications From A Pilot Study. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science Vol. 21 No. 04, 2022
2. Tanjum Ara Haque, Umme Laila Urmi ,Abul Bashar Mir Md Khademul Islam , Bayasrin Ara , Shamsun Nahar, Abu Syed Md Mosaddek, Halyna Lugova, Santosh Kumar, Dilshad Jahan , Nor Azlina A. Rahman, Mainul Haque , Salequl Islam , Brian Godman. Detection of qnr genes and gyrA mutation to quinolone phenotypic resistance of UTI pathogens in Bangladesh and the implications. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science Vol. 12(04), pp 185-198, April, 2022
3. Shamsun Nahar, Umme Laila Urmi, Tamanna Ali, Adity Rumnaz, Tanjum Ara Haque, Bayasrin Ara, Mohammed Shah Alam, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, and Salequl Islam. ESBL Genes, blaTEM, blaOXA, and blaSHV in Poultry Gut Bacteria: An Endemic Public Health Burden in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull 2021; 47: 165-174. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bmrcb.v47i2.57775
4. Nihad Adnan, Mohib Ullah Khondoker, M. Shaminur Rahman, M. Firoz Ahmed, a Shahana Sharmin, Nadim Sharif, Nafisa Azmuda, Salma Akter, Shamsun Nahar, Taslin Jahan Mou, Mahfuza Marzan, Syeda Moriam Liza, Nowshin Jahan, Tamanna Ali, Shahad Saif Khandker, Maha Jamiruddin, Mousumi Akter Chaity, Laura Grace Caller, M. Ahsanul Haq, Mohd Raeed Jamiruddin. Coding-Complete Genome Sequences and Mutation Profiles of Nine SARS-CoV-2 Strains Detected from COVID-19 Patients in Bangladesh. Genome Sequences. Vol.10, Issue 10. https://doi.org/10.1128/MRA.00124-21.
5. Brian Godman, Mainul Haque, Santosh Kumar, Salequl Islam, Jaykaran Charan, Farhana Akter, Amanj Kurdi, Eleonora Allocati, Muhammed Abu Bakar, Sagir Abdur Rahim, Nusrat Sultana, Farzana Deeba, M. A. Halim Khan, A. B. M Muksudul Alam, Iffat Jahan, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, Humaira
Hasin, Munzur-E-Murshid, Shamsun Nahar, Monami Haque, Siddhartha Dutta, Jha Pallavi Abhayanand, Rimple Jeet Kaur, Jitendra Acharya, Takuma Sugahara, Hye-Young Kwon, SeungJin Bae, Karen Koh Pek Khuan, Tanveer Ahmed Khan, Shahzad Hussain, Zikria Saleem, Alice Pisana, Janney Wale & Mihajlo Jakovljevic. Current utilization patterns for long-acting insulin analogues including biosimilars among selected Asian countries and the implications for the future. Current Medical Research and Opinion. https://doi.org/10.1080/03007995.2021.1946024. July, 2021.
5. Rafia Tasnim, Md. Safaet Hossain Sujan, Md. Saiful Islam, Asmaul Husna Ritu, Md. Abid Bin Siddique, Tanziha Yeasmin Toma, Rifat Nowshin1, Abid Hasan, Sahadat Hossain, Shamsun Nahar, Salequl Islam, Muhammad Sougatul Islam, Marc N. Potenza, and Jim van Os. “Prevalence and correlates of anxiety and depression in frontline healthcare workers treating people with COVID-19 in Bangladesh”. Accepted 4th May, 2021, BMC Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-021-03243-w
6. Brian Godman, Mainul Haque, Trudy Leong, Eleonora Allocati, Santosh Kumar, Salequl Islam, Jaykaran Charan, Farhana Akter, Amanj Kurdi, Carlos Vassalo, Muhammed Abu Bakar, Sagir Abdur Rahim, Nusrat Sultana, Farzana Deeba, MA Halim Khan, ABM Muksudul Alam, Iffat Jahan, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, Humaira Hasin, Munzur-E-Murshid, Shamsun Nahar, Monami Haque, Siddhartha Dutta, Jha Pallavi Abhayanand, Rimple Jeet Kaur, Godfrey Mutashambara Rwegerera, Renata Cristina Rezende Macedo do Nascimento, Isabella Piassi Dias Godói, Mohammed Irfan, Adefolarin A Amu, Patrick Matowa, Joseph Acolatse, Robert Incoom, Israel Abebrese Sefah, Jitendra Acharya, Sylvia Opanga, Lisper Wangeci Njeri, David Kimonge, Hye-Young Kwon, SeungJin Bae, Karen Koh Pek Khuan, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Ibrahim Haruna Sani, Tanveer Ahmed Khan, Shahzad Hussain, Zikria Saleem, Oliver Ombeva Malande, Thereza Piloya-Were, Rosana Gambogi, Carla Hernandez Ortiz, Luke Alutuli, Aubrey Chichonyi Kalungia, Iris Hoxha, Vanda Marković-Peković, Biljana Tubic, Guenka Petrova, Konstantin Tachkov, Ott Laius, András Harsanyi, András Inotai, Arianit Jakupi, Svens Henkuzens, Kristina Garuolienė, Jolanta Gulbinovič, Magdalene Wladysiuk, Jakub Rutkowski, Ileana Mardare, Jurij Fürst, Stuart McTaggart, Sean MacBride-Stewart, Caridad Pontes, Corinne Zara, Eunice Twumwaa Adwubi, Rita Banzi, Janney Wale, Mihajlo Jakovljevic. “The current situation regarding long-acting insulin analogs including biosimilars among selected African, Asian, European and South American countries: findings and implications for the future”. Accepted 29th April, 2021, Front. Public Health. https://doi:10.3389/fpubh.2021.671961
7. Mainul Haque, Salequl Islam, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, Farhana Akter, Iffat Jahan, Md Sagir Abdur Rahim, Nusrat Sultana, ABM Muksudul Alam, Munzur-E-Murshid, MA Halim Khan, Farzana Deeba, Muhammed Abu Bakar, Shamsun Nahar, Miliva Mozaffor, Umme Laila Urmi, Taohidur Rahman Saikat, Zakirul Islam, Monami Haque, Samiul Iqbal, Mohammad Monir Hossain, Nurun Naher, Eleonora Allocati, Brian Godman. “Ongoing efforts to improve the management of patients with diabetes in Bangladesh and the implications”. Hosp Pract. 2021 Mar 18. https://doi.org/10.1080/21548331.2021.1906083
8.Bayasrin Ara, Umme Laila Urmi, Tanjum Ara Haque, Shamsun Nahar, Adity Rumnaz, Tamanna Ali, Mohammed Shah Alam, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, nor Azlina a Rahman, Mainul Haque & Salequl Islam. Detection of mobile colistin-resistance gene variants (mcr-1 and mcr-2) in urinary tract pathogens in Bangladesh: the last resort of infectious disease management colistin efficacy is under threat. Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology. 2021.https://doi.org/10.1080/17512433.2021.1901577
9.Tamanna Ali, Adity Rumnaz, Umme Laila Urmi, Shamsun Nahar, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana , Samiul Iqbal , Mohammed Muklesur Rahman , Nor Azlina A. Rahman , Salequl Islam , Mainul Haque. Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus Individuals Carry Different Periodontal Bacteria. Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada 2021; 21:e0107
10. Salequl Islam, Umme Laila Urmi, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana, Nusrat Jahan, Billal Hossain, Samiul Iqbal, Md. Moyazzem Hossain, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek & Shamsun Nahar. High abundance of the colistin resistance gene mcr‑1 in chicken gut‑bacteria in Bangladesh. Scientific Reports. (2020) 10:17292
11. Umme Laila Urmi, Shamsun Nahar, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana, Nusrat Jahan, Billal Hossain, Mohammed Shah Alam, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, Judy McKimm, Nor Azlina A Rahman, Salequl Islam, Mainul Haque. Genotypic to Phenotypic Resistance Discrepancies Identified Involving β-Lactamase Genes, blaKPC, blaIMP, blaNDM-1, and blaVIM in Uropathogenic Klebsiella pneumoniae. Infection and Drug Resistance. 2020:13 2863–2875.
12. Tanzina Akter, Kaniz Fatema , Shamsun Nahar , Shazeed-Ul-Karim , Hoomyra Sultana , Md Sumon Khan, Md. Shahidul Alam , Sadia Afrin and Mohammad Jakir Hossain. Spectrum of Antimicrobial Susceptibility of Escherichia coli Isolated from Urine Samples of a Tertiary Care Hospital of Bangladesh. International Medical Journal. Volume 24, Issue 03, February, 2020
13. Tanzina Akter, Md Sumon Khan, Shamsun Nahar, Kaniz Fatema, Modhusudon Shaha, Mohammad Jakir Hossain, Shazeed-Ul-Karim and Hoomyra Sultana. Determination of prevalence and antimicrobial sensitivity pattern of Klebsiella pneumoniae from sputum sample of a tertiary care hospital. International Medical Journal. Volume 24, Issue 03, November, 2019.
14. Umme Laila Urmi, Nusrat Jahan, Shamsun Nahar, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana, Billal Hossain, Samiul Iqbal, Md. Moyazzem Hossain , Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek , and Salequl Islam.Gram-Positive Uropathogens : Empirical Treatment and Emerging Antimicrobial Resistance. Biomedical Research and Clinical Practice. Volume 4: 1-4. April 16, 2019
15. Md. Monir Hossain, Shamsun Nahar, Tasrina Rabia Choudhury, Masum Shahriar, Nizam Uddin, A. F. M. Mahmudul Islam, Arjyabrata Sarker and Pijus Saha2Studies of Heavy Metal Contents and Microbial Profile in Selected Pediatric Oral Liquid Preparations Available in Bangladesh. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International. 21(4): 1-15, 2018;
16. Muhammad Ekhlas Uddin, Tanzina Akter, Papia Sultana, Md. Ikramul Hasan, Mahbuba Akter Lubna, Hasan Al Monem, Md. Anowar Khasru Parvez, Shamsun Nahar, Md. Sumon Khan. Isolation, Identification and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Profile Analysis of Vibrio cholerae O1 from Stool Samples of Bangladesh. Advances in Microbiology, 2018, 8, 188-196
17. Sumon Kumar Das, Mohammod Jobayer Chisti, Mohammad Habibur Rahman Sarker, Jui Das, Shawnawaz Ahmed , K. M Shahunja , Shamsun Nahar, Nora Gibbons, Tahmeed Ahmed, Abu Syed Golam Faruque, Mustafizur Rahman, George J Fuchs III, Abdullah Al Mamun and Peter John Baker . “Long-term impact of changing childhood malnutrition on rotavirus diarrhoea: two decades of adjusted association with climate and socio-demographic factors from urban Bangladesh”. PLoS ONE 12 (9): September 2017.
18. Tahsina Islam, Farzana Diba, Roni Miah, Ayesha Siddiqa, Nafisa Azmuda, Shamsun Nahar, Nihad Adnan, Shuvra Kanti Dey, Ali Azam Talukder. Optimization of Acetic Acid Production Rate by Thermotolerant Acetobacter spp. Advances in Microbiology, 2017, 7, 749-759
19. Muhammad Ekhlas Uddin, Tanzina Akter, Md. Anowar Khasru Parvez, Shamsun Nahar, Safirun Pervin, Bishajit Debnath and Suvamoy Datta. “Microbial Safety of Street Vended Fruit Juices in Dhaka City of Bangladesh”. Journal of Advances in Microbiology 3(2): 1-7, May 2017.
20. Kaniz Fatema, Shamsun Nahar, Safirun Pervin, Ani Chakma, Mohammad Jakir Hossain, Sabrin Bashar and Tanzina Akter. “Urine Analysis and Determination of Drug Sensitivity Pattern of Isolated Escherichia coli from Urinary Tract Infected Patients”. Asian Journal of Medicine and Health 2(1): 1-7, January 2017.
21. Mohammad Showkat Mahmud, Md. Gahangir Alam, Shamsun Nahar and Md. Jakir Hossain. “Partial purification and characterization of alkaline protease enzyme from Pseudomonas aeruginosa for tannery in Bangladesh”. Asian-Australasian Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology, August 2016, 1 (2), 221-229.
22. Tanzina Akter, Kaniz Fatema, Md. Razibul Alam, Md. Anowar Khasru Parvez, Shamsun Nahar, Muhammad Ekhlas Uddin, Safirun Pervin and Tasmia Farzana. “Investigation of Urine Samples for Isolation, Identification and Antibiotic Susceptibility Analysis of Bacterial Pathogens from Suspected Urinary Tract Infected Patients of Bangladesh”. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research 18(2): 1-10, September 2016.
23. Shamsun Nahar, Mohammad Showkat Mahmud, Sabiha Sultana, Mohammad Bazlul Karim Choudhury and Salequl Islam. "Norovirus Infection in Community Children with Acute Gastroenteritis in Savar Area, Dhaka, Bangladesh". British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, 15(12): May 2016.
24. Arifatun Nahar, Mahfuza Marzan, Mashuk Siddiquee, Shamsun Nahar, KaziSelim Anwar and Salequl Islam. "Multidrug Resistant Providencia stuartii in Chicken Droppings: Public Health Implications for Poultry Workers and Associated Communities in nearby Dhaka Metropolis, Bangladesh". British Microbiology Research Journal 14(5): May 2016.
25. Mustafizur Rahman, Rajibur Rahman, ShamsunNahar, Shakhaowat Hossain, Shahnawaz Ahmed, Abu Syed GolamFaruque and Tasnim Azim. Norovirus Diarrhea in Bangladesh, 2010–2014: Prevalence, Clinical Features, and Genotypes. Journal of Medical Virology 88:1742–1750 March 2016.
26. ArifatunNahar, MashukSiddiquee, Shamsun Nahar, KaziSelim Anwar and Salequl Islam. Multidrug Resistant-Proteus Mirabilis Isolated from Chicken Droppings in Commercial Poultry Farms: Bio-security Concern and Emerging Public Health Threat in Bangladesh. J Biosafety Health Educ. 2014, Volume 2, Issue 2. Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases 9 (2014) 1–13. DOI 10.3233/JPI-140419.
27. Shuvra Kanti Dey, Shamsun Nahar, Tanzina Akter, Hoomyra Sultana, Anjuman Akter, Omar Sadi Sarkar, Firoz Ahmed, Ali AzamTalukder and Farjana Ahmed. A retrospective analysis of viral gastroenteritis in Asia. Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases 9 (2014) 1–13.DOI 10.3233/JPI-140419.
28. Shamsun Nahar, Mokibul Hassan Afrad, Noorjahan Begum, Feroz Al-Mamun, AzadulKabirSarker, Sumon Kumar Das, Abu Syed GolamFaruque, Mahmoud Reza Pourkarim, Mohammad SahabuddinKabirChoudhuri, Tasnim Azim, Mustafizur Rahman. High prevalence of noroviruses among hospitalized diarrheal patients in Bangladesh, 2011. J Infect Dev Ctries 2013; 7(11):892-896.
29. Shamsun Nahar, Mokibul Hassan Afrad , JelleMatthijnssens, Mohammed Ziaur Rahman , ZehadeeMomtaz , Rahena Yasmin , Mohammad Jubair , Abu Syed GolamFaruque , Mohammad SahabuddinKabirChoudhuri , Tasnim Azim , Mustafizur Rahman. Novel intergenotype human norovirus recombinant GII.16/GII.3 in Bangladesh. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, December 2013, 20 325–329.
30. Shamsun Nahar , Mokibul Hassan Afrad ,TazinFahmi ,Sayra Moni, WardaHaque, Sumon Kumar Das, Abu Syed GolamFaruque, Mohammad SahabuddinKabirChoudhuri, Tasnim Azim, Mustafizur Rahman. A novel norovirus recombinant strain GII.4/GII.21 in Bangladesh, 2011. Virus Genes 2013;16(3); 538-541.
31. Mustafizur Rahman, Shamsun Nahar,Mokibul Hassan Afrad, Abu Syed GolamFaruque and Tasnim Azim. Norovirus Variant GII.4/Sydney/2012, Bangladesh. Emerging Infectious Diseases, August 2013, 16 (8): 1374.
32. Mokibul Hassan Afrad, Polash Chandra Karmakar, Sumon Kumar Das, Jelle Matthijnssens, Farjana Ahmed, Shamsun Nahar, A.S.G. Faruque ,Mohammed Ziaur Rahman, Mustafizur Rahman, Tasnim Azim. Epidemiology and genetic diversity of human astrovirus infection among hospitalized patients with acute diarrhea in Bangladesh from 2010 to 2012. Journal of Clinical Virology 58 (2013) 612– 618.
33. Sumon Kumar Das, Shahnawaz Ahmed1, Farzana Ferdous, Fahmida Dil Farzana, Guddu Kaur, Mohammod Jobayer Chisti, Kaisar Ali Talukder, Mustafizur Rahman1, Shamsun Nahar,YasminAra Begum, Firdausi Qadri, Tahmeed Ahmed and Abu Syed GolamFaruque. Disease Severity and Common Etiology of Diarrhea among Children Under-five in Mirzapur, Rural Bangladesh. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE& Health 2013; 3(2): 82-93
34. Md. Moklesur Rahman Sarker, Shamsun Nahar, Masum Shahriar, SyedaSeraj, and M. Shahabuddin Kabir Choudhuri. Preliminary study of the immunostimulating activity of an ayurvedic preparation, Kanakasava, on the splenic cells of BALB/c mice in vitro. Pharmaceutical Biology, 2012; 50(11): 1467–1472.
35. M Huq, S Nahar, A Alam, H Imam and M Rahman. The prevalence of selected high-risk human papillomavirus infections among female sex workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2012; 23: 151–152.
36. Salequl Islam, Ariful Hoque, Shamsun Nahar, Nihad Adnan, Atsushi Tanaka and Hiroo Hoshino. Deletion of 23 amino acids from N-terminal region of CXCR4 (X4∆NTR23) abolishes the coreceptor activity for HIV/SIV isolates. Jahangirnagar University J. Biol. Sci. 1 (1): 25-35, 2012
37. S Biswas, M A K Parvez, M Shafiquzzaman, S Nahar, M N Rahman. Isolation and characterization of Escherichia Coli in ready-to-eat foods vended in Islamic University, Kushtia.J. bio-sci. 18: 99-103, 2010.
38. Xue-Lei Yang, Jelle Matthijnssens, He Sun, Jianaer Muhamaiti, Bin Zhang , Shamsun Nahar, Marc Van Ranst , Mustafizur Rahman. Temporal changes of rotavirus strain distributionin a city in the northwest of China, 1996—2005. Int. J. of Infect. Dis. 2008 12: e11—e17.
39. Khairun Nessa MBBS PhD, Anadil Alam MBBS MPH, Faisal Arif Hasan Chawdhury MSc,Mohsina Huq MSc, Shamsun Nahar MSc, Gazi Salauddin MSc, Shayema Khursheed MBBS, Saifur Rahman MBBS MPH, Emily Gurley MPH, Robert F Breiman MD Ph.D. and Motiur Rahman MBBS PhD. Field evaluation of simple rapid tests in the diagnosis of syphilis.Int. J. of STD & AIDS 2008; 19: 316–320.
40. Kairun Nessa, Shama-A Waris, Zafar Sultan, Shirajum Monira, Maqsud Hossain, Shamsun Nahar, Habibur Rahman, Mahbub Alam, Pam Baatsen and Motiur Rahman. Epidemiology and Etiology of Sexually Transmitted Infection among Hotel-Based Sex Workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2004; 42: 618-621.
41. J Bogaerts, J Ahmed, N Akhter, N Begum, M Rahman, S Nahar, M Van Ranst, J Verhaegen. Sexually transmitted infections among married women in Dhaka, Bangladesh: unexpected high prevalence of herpes simplex type 2 infection. Sex. Transm. Infect. 2001; 77: 114-119.
|Course Code||Course Title||Semester/Year|
|511||New Frontiers of antibiotics study||46 Batch|
|407||Advanced Immunology||47 Batch|
|204||Human Physiology||49 Batch|
|101||General Microbiology||50 Batch|
Period: 2011 to 2015
Awarded Ph.D. degree in 2015
Period: 1993 to 1994
Awarded M Sc. degree in 1994
Period: 1990 to 1993
Awarded B Sc. (Hons.) degree in 1993
Period: 1988 to 1990
Awarded Higher Secondary School Certificate in 1990
Period: 1983 to 1988
Awarded Secondary School Certificate in 1988
Period: 2019 to Till date
Key teaching responsibilities
General Microbiology, Human Physiology, Immunology, Advanced Immunology, New Frontiers of Antibiotic Study & Related practical courses.
Position: Associate Professor
Period: 2015 to 2019
Key teaching responsibilities
General Microbiology, Human Physiology, Molecular Microbiology, Immunology, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Cell Biology & Related. Practical Courses.
Position: Assistant Professor
Period: 2009 to 2015
Key teaching responsibilities
General Microbiology, Basic Concepts & Mechanism of Genetics, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Cell Biology, Food Microbiology, Environmental Microbiology, Microbiology of Frozen Food, Quality Control of Food Fish, and Beverages, Microbiological Safety of Foods, & Related Practical Courses
Period: 2006 to 2009
Key teaching responsibilities
General Microbiology, Microbial Ecology, Basic Techniques in Microbiology, Microbial Chemistry, Food Microbiology, Medical Microbiology, Environmental Microbiology, Microbial Metabolism, Pharmaceutical Microbiology & Related Practical Courses
Position: Research Fellow
Period: 2001 to 2002
Characterization of Legionella pneumophilla, Cloning of particular DNA fragments in appropriate plasmids, transformation, electroporation, Southern blot, Northern blot, PCR, restriction enzyme analysis, DNA sequencing, DNA isolation and RNA extraction, site-directed mutagenesis, selection of antibiotic resistance marker.
Position: Research Officer
Period: 1999 to 2005
Key Responsibilities, (April, 1999 to September 2005 at RTI/STI Laboratory)
Identification, general and molecular characterization of the different organisms from clinical
samples involve in sexually transmitted infection. Sequencing of the selective gene or part of
the gene to compare with available strains to detect the mutation.
Supervise junior staff.
Involved with training programs funded by JAICA titled “Emerging and re-emerging
pathogen” a training program for Japanese doctors and medical personnel. This
program is held every year. As a part of the training faculty, I taught about the diagnosis of
different sexually transmitted infections and reproductive tract infections.
Also involved with the training program to build up expertise for the collaborative
partners of the RTI/STI laboratory. I conducted a training program on the diagnosis of
Gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia, Trichomonas, BV, and Syphilis for Nepal FHI team.
Setting up of satellite clinic and training of the staff and supervising their daily activity.
Microneutralization test for detection of Polio/Measles antibodies.
ELISA Technique for determination of Haemophilus influenzae type b capsular polysaccharide antibodies, Anti-tetanus antibody, IgG, IgM against Treponema pallidum, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Herpes simplex.
RPR, TPHA, TPPA, FTA-ABS test, antibiogram, and antibiotic assay.
Microscopic examination of Trichomonas vaginalis, Candida albicans, and bacterial vaginosis.
Isolation and cultivation of Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Haemophilus ducreyi, Candida
albicans, Staphylococcus aureus, and Streptococcus spp.
Position: Thesis Supervisor
Period: 2011 to Till Date
oMS Thesis Mentorship:Analyzing antibiotic resistant genetic traits in Bangladeshi poultry microbiota, July 2019- June 2020
MS Thesis Mentorship: Analyzing antibiotic-resistant genes of urinary tract infection in Dhaka area, Bangladesh, July 2018-June 2019
MS Thesis Mentorship:Evaluation of biofilm-producing dental microbiota with diabetic patients in Bangladesh, July 2017-June 2018
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Analyzing antibiotic resistant genetic traits of pathogens isolated from Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) in Bangladesh, July 2016-June2017
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Analyzing antibiotic resistant genetic traits in Bangladeshi poultry microbiota, July 2016-June2017
o MS Thesis Mentorship: comparison of xpert mtb/rif assay, pcr, afb microscopy with conventional culture for the detection of extrapulmonary tuberculosis, July 2015-June 2016
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Isolation of mycobacterium tuberculosis by adenosine deaminase in extra pulmonary body fluid, July 2014-June 2015
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Concentration of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from extra pulmonary body fluid using ligand-coated magnetic beads, July 2014-June 2015
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Epidemiology and Genetic Diversity of Human Astroviruses among Hospitalized Diarrhea Patients in Bangladesh, July 2012-June 2013
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Analytical method validation of microbiological limit test used in pharmaceutical industry, July 2011-June 2012.
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Evolution of major outer capsid protein (vp7) genes of g2 rotaviruses in Bangladesh, July 2011-June 2012.
o MS Thesis Mentorship: Detection of diarrheal viruses among patients with acute gastroenteritis attended in a community clinic, July 2011-June 2012.
Position: Team member of Teaching-Learning Assessment
Period: 2015 to Till Date
Involved in the ILO-based curriculum development
Position: House Tutor
Period: 2008 to 2018
Support the development of hall life/education through the provision of guidance, keeping of disciplines in a student hall, and promotion of social disciplines.
Position: Student Advisor
Period: 2006 to 2009
Help students to get information and advice about personal issues, educational issues, career planning, or personal development.
Dr. Shamsun Nahar
Department of Microbiology
Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh.
Cell Phone: 01819117155
Work Phone: 7791045-51 Ext.2192
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com