My career begins with research on sexually transmitted infection (STI) among Bangladeshi people at International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh (icddr,b) under supervision of Dr. Jozef Bogaerts, Head of STI unit. I worked there as 'Research officer' from April/1999 until Oct/2005 in a collaborative research project, titled “Sexually transmitted infection in Bangladeshi people” between icddr,b and Belgium. The overall project management enhanced my team-work ability with other research students and developed my communication skills among patients, study doctors, community health workers and principle investigator (PI). During my research experiences I acquire extensive knowledge about different sexually transmitted organisms with their detection, identification, infectious genome sequence and infection process among high risk people in Bangladesh such as sex worker, truck driver etc. In 2001, I was invited as research fellow by Belgium Government to enhance my knowledge about gene isolation, gene cloning, gene expression and site directed mutagenesis at Rega Institute of Katholeik University of Leuven. I started my teaching career as Lecturer position to the Department of Microbiology, Jahangirnagar University since 2006. My employer University permit me to pursue my PhD on “Genetic diversity of noroviruses in Bangladesh”. In 2011, I transitioned into PhD research program under the mentorship of Professor. Shahabuddin Kabir Choudhuri at Jahagirnagar University and Dr. Mustafizur Rahman under a collaboration program of virology laboratory, icddr,b and the Department of Pharmacy, Jahangirnagar University. The program has taught me extensive expertise on causative agents of viral diarrhea among hospitalized patients, examining diarrheal virus infections to cell lines, bioinformatics analyses from online databases and subsequent molecular biology techniques, like amplification of diarrhea causing virus genes, their sequencing, blasting and observe their natural recombination. I have led several research projects in department of Microbology, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh, and mentoring several MS students. I have published 23 research papers with more than 250 citations in different reputed peer reviewed journals. Currently, I am trying to build up one health research laboratory in Department of Microbiology, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh.
RESEARCH INTERESTClinical Microbiology, Antimicrobial resistance, Molecular biology and Virology
1. Md. Monir Hossain, Shamsun Nahar, Tasrina Rabia Choudhury, Masum Shahriar, Nizam Uddin, A. F. M. Mahmudul Islam, Arjyabrata Sarker and Pijus Saha2Studies of Heavy Metal Contents and Microbial Profile in Selected Pediatric Oral Liquid Preparations Available in Bangladesh. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International. 21(4): 1-15, 2018;
2. Muhammad Ekhlas Uddin, Tanzina Akter, Papia Sultana, Md. Ikramul Hasan, Mahbuba Akter Lubna, Hasan Al Monem, Md. Anowar Khasru Parvez, Shamsun Nahar, Md. Sumon Khan. Isolation, Identification and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Profile Analysis of Vibrio cholerae O1 from Stool Samples of Bangladesh. Advances in Microbiology, 2018, 8, 188-196
3. Sumon Kumar Das, Mohammod Jobayer Chisti, Mohammad Habibur Rahman Sarker, Jui Das, Shawnawaz Ahmed , K. M Shahunja , Shamsun Nahar, Nora Gibbons, Tahmeed Ahmed, Abu Syed Golam Faruque, Mustafizur Rahman, George J Fuchs III, Abdullah Al Mamun and Peter John Baker . “Long-term impact of changing childhood malnutrition on rotavirus diarrhoea: two decades of adjusted association with climate and socio-demographic factors from urban Bangladesh”. PLoS ONE 12 (9): September 2017.
4. Tahsina Islam, Farzana Diba, Roni Miah, Ayesha Siddiqa, Nafisa Azmuda, Shamsun Nahar, Nihad Adnan, Shuvra Kanti Dey, Ali Azam Talukder. Optimization of Acetic Acid Production Rate by Thermotolerant Acetobacter spp. Advances in Microbiology, 2017, 7, 749-759
5. Muhammad Ekhlas Uddin, Tanzina Akter, Md. Anowar Khasru Parvez, Shamsun Nahar, Safirun Pervin, Bishajit Debnath and Suvamoy Datta. “Microbial Safety of Street Vended Fruit Juices in Dhaka City of Bangladesh”. Journal of Advances in Microbiology 3(2): 1-7, May 2017.
6. Kaniz Fatema, Shamsun Nahar, Safirun Pervin, Ani Chakma, Mohammad Jakir Hossain, Sabrin Bashar and Tanzina Akter. “Urine Analysis and Determination of Drug Sensitivity Pattern of Isolated Escherichia coli from Urinary Tract Infected Patients”. Asian Journal of Medicine and Health 2(1): 1-7, January 2017.
7. Mohammad Showkat Mahmud, Md. Gahangir Alam, Shamsun Nahar and Md. Jakir Hossain. “Partial purification and characterization of alkaline protease enzyme from Pseudomonas aeruginosa for tannery in Bangladesh”. Asian-Australasian Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology, August 2016, 1 (2), 221-229.
8. Tanzina Akter, Kaniz Fatema, Md. Razibul Alam, Md. Anowar Khasru Parvez, Shamsun Nahar, Muhammad Ekhlas Uddin, Safirun Pervin and Tasmia Farzana. “Investigation of Urine Samples for Isolation, Identification and Antibiotic Susceptibility Analysis of Bacterial Pathogens from Suspected Urinary Tract Infected Patients of Bangladesh”. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research 18(2): 1-10, September 2016.
9. Shamsun Nahar, Mohammad Showkat Mahmud, Sabiha Sultana, Mohammad Bazlul Karim Choudhury and Salequl Islam. "Norovirus Infection in Community Children with Acute Gastroenteritis in Savar Area, Dhaka, Bangladesh". British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, 15(12): May 2016.
10. Arifatun Nahar, Mahfuza Marzan, Mashuk Siddiquee, Shamsun Nahar, KaziSelim Anwar and Salequl Islam. "Multidrug Resistant Providencia stuartii in Chicken Droppings: Public Health Implications for Poultry Workers and Associated Communities in nearby Dhaka Metropolis, Bangladesh". British Microbiology Research Journal 14(5): May 2016.
11. Mustafizur Rahman, Rajibur Rahman, Shamsun Nahar, Shakhaowat Hossain, Shahnawaz Ahmed, Abu Syed GolamFaruque and Tasnim Azim. Norovirus Diarrhea in Bangladesh, 2010–2014: Prevalence, Clinical Features, and Genotypes. Journal of Medical Virology 88:1742–1750 March 2016.
12. ArifatunNahar, MashukSiddiquee, Shamsun Nahar, KaziSelim Anwar and Salequl Islam. Multidrug Resistant-Proteus Mirabilis Isolated from Chicken Droppings in Commercial Poultry Farms: Bio-security Concern and Emerging Public Health Threat in Bangladesh. J Biosafety Health Educ. 2014, Volume 2, Issue 2. Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases 9 (2014) 1–13. DOI 10.3233/JPI-140419.
13. Shuvra Kanti Dey, Shamsun Nahar, Tanzina Akter, Hoomyra Sultana, Anjuman Akter, Omar Sadi Sarkar, Firoz Ahmed, Ali AzamTalukder and Farjana Ahmed. A retrospective analysis of viral gastroenteritis in Asia. Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases 9 (2014) 1–13.DOI 10.3233/JPI-140419.
14. Shamsun Nahar, Mokibul Hassan Afrad, Noorjahan Begum, Feroz Al-Mamun, AzadulKabirSarker, Sumon Kumar Das, Abu Syed GolamFaruque, Mahmoud Reza Pourkarim, Mohammad SahabuddinKabirChoudhuri, Tasnim Azim, Mustafizur Rahman. High prevalence of noroviruses among hospitalized diarrheal patients in Bangladesh, 2011. J Infect Dev Ctries 2013; 7(11):892-896.
15. Shamsun Nahar, Mokibul Hassan Afrad , JelleMatthijnssens, Mohammed Ziaur Rahman , ZehadeeMomtaz , Rahena Yasmin , Mohammad Jubair , Abu Syed GolamFaruque , Mohammad SahabuddinKabirChoudhuri , Tasnim Azim , Mustafizur Rahman. Novel intergenotype human norovirus recombinant GII.16/GII.3 in Bangladesh. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, December 2013, 20 325–329.
16. Shamsun Nahar , Mokibul Hassan Afrad ,TazinFahmi ,Sayra Moni, WardaHaque, Sumon Kumar Das, Abu Syed GolamFaruque, Mohammad SahabuddinKabirChoudhuri, Tasnim Azim, Mustafizur Rahman. A novel norovirus recombinant strain GII.4/GII.21 in Bangladesh, 2011. Virus Genes 2013;16(3); 538-541.
17. Mustafizur Rahman, Shamsun Nahar, Mokibul Hassan Afrad, Abu Syed GolamFaruque and Tasnim Azim. Norovirus Variant GII.4/Sydney/2012, Bangladesh. Emerging Infectious Diseases, August 2013, 16 (8): 1374.
18. Mokibul Hassan Afrad, Polash Chandra Karmakar, Sumon Kumar Das, Jelle Matthijnssens, Farjana Ahmed, Shamsun Nahar, A.S.G. Faruque ,Mohammed Ziaur Rahman, Mustafizur Rahman, Tasnim Azim. Epidemiology and genetic diversity of human astrovirus infectionamong hospitalized patients with acute diarrhea in Bangladesh from2010 to 2012. Journal of Clinical Virology 58 (2013) 612– 618.
19. Sumon Kumar Das, Shahnawaz Ahmed, Farzana Ferdous, Fahmida Dil Farzana, Guddu Kaur, Mohammod Jobayer Chisti, Kaisar Ali Talukder, Mustafizur Rahman, Shamsun Nahar,YasminAra Begum, Firdausi Qadri, Tahmeed Ahmed and Abu Syed GolamFaruque. Disease Severity and Common Etiology of Diarrhea among Children Under-five in Mirzapur, Rural Bangladesh. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE& Health 2013; 3(2): 82-93
20. Md. Moklesur Rahman Sarker, Shamsun Nahar, Masum Shahriar, SyedaSeraj, and M. Shahabuddin Kabir Choudhuri. Preliminary study of the immunostimulating activity of anayurvedic preparation, Kanakasava, on the splenic cells of BALB/c mice in vitro. Pharmaceutical Biology, 2012; 50(11): 1467–1472.
21. M Huq, S Nahar, A Alam, H Imam and M Rahman. The prevalence of selected high-riskhuman papillomavirus infections among female sex workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2012; 23: 151–152.
22. Salequl Islam, Ariful Hoque, Shamsun Nahar, Nihad Adnan, Atsushi Tanaka and Hiroo Hoshino. Deletion of 23 amino acids from N-teriminal region of CXCR4 (X4∆NTR23) abolishes the coreceptor activity for HIV/SIV isolates. Jahangirnagar University J. Biol. Sci. 1 (1): 25-35, 2012
23. S Biswas, M A K Parvez, M Shafiquzzaman, S Nahar, M N Rahman. Isolation and characterization of Escherichia Coli in ready-to-eat foods vended in Islamic University, Kushtia.J. bio-sci. 18: 99-103, 2010.
24. Xue-Lei Yang, Jelle Matthijnssens, He Sun, Jianaer Muhamaiti, Bin Zhang , Shamsun Nahar, Marc Van Ranst , Mustafizur Rahman. Temporal changes of rotavirus strain distributionin a city in the northwest of China, 1996—2005. Int. J. of Infect. Dis. 2008 12: e11—e17.
25. Khairun Nessa MBBS PhD, Anadil Alam MBBS MPH, Faisal Arif Hasan Chawdhury MSc,Mohsina Huq MSc, Shamsun Nahar MSc, Gazi Salauddin MSc, Shayema Khursheed MBBS, Saifur Rahman MBBS MPH, Emily Gurley MPH, Robert F Breiman MD PhD and Motiur Rahman MBBS PhD. Field evaluation of simple rapid tests in the diagnosis of syphilis.Int. J. of STD & AIDS 2008; 19: 316–320.
26. Kairun Nessa, Shama-A Waris, Zafar Sultan, Shirajum Monira, Maqsud Hossain, Shamsun Nahar, Habibur Rahman, Mahbub Alam, Pam Baatsen and Motiur Rahman. Epidemiology and Etiology of Sexually Transmitted Infection among Hotel-Based Sex Workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2004; 42: 618-621.
27. J Bogaerts, J Ahmed, N Akhter, N Begum, M Rahman, S Nahar, M Van Ranst, J Verhaegen. Sexually transmitted infections among married women in Dhaka, Bangladesh: unexpected high prevalence of herpes simplex type 2 infection. Sex. Transm. Infect. 2001; 77: 114-119.
List of presentations in Seminars/Symposia/Workshops
“TWAS Research Grants Conference”, 4-6 June 2019, Kathmandu, Nepal
“Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) patients carry different periodontal microbiota” Oral Immunology and Oral Microbiology (ICOIOM) 2018. 14-15 August, 2018, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur
"Prior Exposures of Antimicrobials Contribute Acquisition of Mobile Colistin Resistance (mcr-1) Gene in to Bangladeshi Poultry Microbiota" (Awarded with Infectious Disease Fellow Travel Grant). ASM 2018 Microbe, to be held 7-11 June, 2018, Atlanta, GA, USA.
"Poultry-Chicken Bacteria Carry Higher Prevalence of Extended-spectrum β-Lactamase Genes than Household-Chicken Isolates". 10th Asian Federation of Biotechnology (AFOB) Regional symposium” Jan 27-29 January, 2018, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Computational genomics and Bioinformatics” July 24-28, 2016, Virology Lab at icddr,b (International center for diarrheal disease research), Bangladesh.
Seminar on “Medical Waste Management In Bangladesh” Oct 24, 2015, Sasakawa Auditorium, icddr,b, Bangladesh
Seminar and Workshop on Biorisk Management, May 30, 2015, Sasakawa Auditorium, icddr,b, Bangladesh
Sensitization and training program for promoting Biosafety & Biosecurity in Bangladesh. Dec 21, 2015, MIS Auditorium, DGHS, Bangladesh.