Md. Ibrahim Khalil has received his BSc, MSc and PhD in Biochemistry from Rajshahi University, Bangladesh. He has done postdoctoral research in antioxidant and polyphenols analysis from University Sains Malaysia as well as he was a visiting research fellow at the School of Medical Sciences, University Sains Malaysia. Dr. Khalil was the Chairman of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. He has taught a numbers of courses, conducted a numbers of undergraduate and graduate examinations as well as supervised a numbers of MS students of the said department. Dr. Khalil was involved in a numbers of national and international research projects as a principal and co-investigator. He has published a numbers of research articles in reputed national and international journals and has written a book chapter. He is now working as Professor at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh.
Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Antioxidant, Polyphenols
22. M A Islam, F Alam, M I Khalil, T H Sasongko, S H Gan, 2016. Natural products towards the discovery of potential future antithrombotic drugs. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 22(20): 2926-46. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612822666160307150454
24. M A Islam, F Alam, M Solayman, M I Khalil, M A Kamal, S H Gan 2016. Dietary Phytochemicals: Natural Swords Combating Inflammation and Oxidation-Mediated Degenerative Diseases. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity Volume 2016, Article ID 5137431, 25 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/5137431
25. F Alam, M A Islam, M I Khalil, S H Gan, 2016. Metabolic control of type 2 diabetes targeting GLUT4 glucose transporter: Intervention approaches. Current Pharmaceutical Design 22: 3034-3049. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612822666160307145801
29. M Solayman, Y Ali, F Alam, M A Islam, N Alam, M I Khalil, S H Gan, 2016. Polyphenols: Potential future arsenals in the treatment of Diabetes. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 22: 549-565. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612822666151125001111
31. M Solayman, M A Islam, S Paul, Y Ali, M I Khalil, N Alam, S H Gan, 2016. Physicochemical Properties, Minerals, Trace Elements, and & Heavy Metals in Honey of Different Origins: A Comprehensive Review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 15(1): 219–233. https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12182
32. N Alam, A K Roy, S K Biswas, S H Gan, M I Khalil, 2015. Identification of Mycoflora of Lablab Bean [Lablab purpureus (L.) Sweet] Seed Grown in Bangladesh and its Control by Hot Water Treatment. American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, 15 (9): 1760-1766. https://www.idosi.org/aejaes/jaes15(9)15/7.pdf
33. S Paul, MS Hossen, E M Tanvir, M A Islam, R Afroz, I Ahmed, M Saha, S H Gan, M I Khalil, 2015. Antioxidant properties of Citrus macroptera fruit and its in vivo effects on the liver, kidney and pancreas in wistar rats. International Journal of Pharmacology, 2015 pages 1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/ijp.2015.899.909
34. E M Tanvir, R Afroz, M A Z Chowdhury, S H Gan, N Karim, M A Rahman, M I Khalil, 2015. A model of chlorpyrifos distribution and its biochemical effects on the liver and kidneys of rats. Human and Experimental Toxicology, 2015), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0960327115614384
35. M I Khalil, I Ahmmed, R Ahmed, E M Tanvir, R Afroz, S Paul, S H Gan, N Alam, 2015. Amelioration of isoproterenol-induced oxidative damage in rat myocardium by Withania somnifera leaf extract. BioMed Research International, Volume 2015, Article ID 624159, 10 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/624159
39. M I Khalil, E M Tanvir, R Afroz, S A Sulaiman, S H Gan, 2015. Cardioprotective Effects of Tualang Honey: Amelioration of Cholesterol and Cardiac Enzymes Levels. BioMed Research International. Volume 2015, Article ID 286051, 8 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/286051
40. E M Tanvir, R Afroz, M A Z Chowdhury, M I Khalil, M S Hossain, M A Rahman, S H Gan, 2015. Honey has a protective effect against chlorpyrifos-induced toxicity on lipid peroxidation, diagnostic markers and hepatic histoarchitecture. European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 7: 525–533. ISI indexed and Impact factor 0.801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eujim.2015.04.004
43. M R Islam, K M R Kabir, M S Hossain, M F Hossain, M I Khalil, 2014. Efficient in vitro Cultural Techniques for Seed Germination of Vanda roxburghii. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 10 (4): 163-168. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5133/ff801192acc306c67bc0ef97c0039af85f62.pdf
44. M R Islam, K M R Kabir, M S Hossain, M F Hossain, M M Hossain, M I Khalil, 2014. Efficacy of Argemone mexicana Linn. leaf and stem extract to restrain the growth of water borne microorganisms. American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, 14 (11): 1172-1175. https://www.idosi.org/aejaes/jaes14(11)14/6.pdf
45. F Hossain, A K Parvez , M K Munshi, M I Khalil, R Huque, 2014. Effect of Radiation and Chemical Treatments on guava (Psidium guajava L.) to Delay Ripening in Relation to Organoleptic Biochemical and Microbiological Properties. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 3(12) 19-36. https://www.ijcmas.com/vol-3-12/Md.%20Fuad%20Hossain1,%20et%20al.pdf
51. M Sultana, S Akhter, L Ali, M M Hossain, M I Khalil 2014. Association of serum adiponectin in the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Bangladesh. World Journal of Medical Sciences. 11 (2): 248-254. DOI: 10.5829/idosi.wjms.2014.11.2.84170
52. K M R Kabir, M R Islam, M S Hossin, Sudip Paul, M I Khalil, 2014. Antagonism of lactic acid bacteria against selected pathogenic bacteria and spoilage fungi. American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural & Environmental Science. 14 (3): 193-198, 2014. DOI: 10.5829/idosi.aejaes.2014.14.03.83282
60. M H Rahman, M M Islam, M R Karim, A Ud-Daula, M I Hossain, M S Hossain, M F Hossain, M I Khalil, 2013. A study on nutritional status of pregnant woman in south-west region of Bangladesh. International Research Journal of Pharmaceutical and Applied Sciences. 3(2). 54-58.
61. M K Munshi, M F Hossain, R Huque, M Rahman, A Khatun, M Islam, M I Khalil, 2013. Effect of biomass and sugar in citric acid production by Aspergillus niger using molasses and jackfruit as substrates. American Journal of Food and Nutrition. 1(1): 1-6. http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajfn/1/1/1/
62. A Ud-Daula, A Rakib, M H Rahman, M S Hossain, M I Hossain, M F Hossain, and M I Khalil, 2013. Isolation and characterization of antibiotic resistance bacteria in hospital effluents. Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 4(1): 10-18.
63. A Rahaman, S Hossain, M Rahman, I Hossain, T Nahar, B Uddin, M I Khalil, 2013. Syzygium Cumini (L.) seed extract improves memory related learning ability of old rats in eight arm radial maze. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 6(1): 85-94. https://core.ac.uk/reader/25851204
64. M Moniruzzaman, M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, 2013. Physicochemical and antioxidant properties of Malaysian honeys produced by Apis cerana, Apis dorsata and Apis mellifera. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 13: 43. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-13-43
65. M N Islam, M Moniruzzaman, M I Khalil, R Basri, M K Alam, K W Loo and S H Gan, 2013. Burden of stroke in Bangladesh. International Journal of Stroke. 8: 211–213. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-4949.2012.00885.x
66. M K Munshi, M F Hossain, R Huque, M Rahman, A Khatun, M Islam, M A Hossain, M I Khalil, 2012. Effect of Gamma-ray induced mutant strains of Aspergillus niger on citric acid fermentation using molasses and jackfruit based medium. Academic Journal of Nutrition. 1(3): 23-28. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/70ba/2c4c76bdfe393480c64251f1d6a48a77ce84.pdf
67. M Moniruzzaman, B Rokeya, A Bhowmik, S Ahmed, M I Khalil, S H Gan, 2012. In vitro antioxidant effects of Aloe barbadensis miller extracts and the potential role of these extracts as antidiabetic and antilipidemic agents on streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic model rats. Molecules. 17: 12851-12867. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules171112851
68. M A Islam, M N Islam, M Moniruzzaman, M A Mottalib, S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, M I Khalil 2012. Physicochemical and antioxidant properties of Bangladeshi honeys stored for more than one year. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 12: 177. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-12-177
69. N Alam, M Hossain, M A Mottalib, S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, M I Khalil 2012. Methanolic extracts of Withania somnifera leaves, fruits and roots possess antioxidant properties and antibacterial activities. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 12: 175. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-12-175
70. M I Khalil, M Moniruzzaman, L Boukhraa, M Benhanifia, M A Islam, M N Islam, S A Sulaiman, S H Gan, 2012. Physicochemical properties and antioxidants properties of Algerian honey. Molecules. 17: 11199-11215. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules170911199
71. M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman, N Alam, N Ramli, M Mohamed, S Bai’e and S H Gan, 2012. Phenolic content and antioxidant properties of processed Tualang honey (Agromas®) collected from different regions in Malaysia. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 4(2): 214-219. Click here
72. M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman, N Alam, M Moniruzzaman, S Bai’e, C N Man, S M S Jamalullail and S H Gan, 2012. Gamma Irradiation Increases the Antioxidant Properties of Tualang Honey Stored Under Different Conditions. Molecules. 17(1):674-687. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules17010674
73. M Moniruzzaman, M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, 2012. Advances in the analytical methods for determining the antioxidant properties of honey: a review. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, 9(1):36‐42. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23983317
74. N Alam, M Hossain, M I Khalil, M Moniruzzaman, S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, 2012. Recent advances in elucidating the biological properties of Withania somnifera and its potential role in health benefits. Phytochemistry Reviews. 11:97–112. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11101-011-9221-5
75. M Rahman, R Khatun, M Tania, M I Khalil, S Ahmed and B Uddin, 2011. Measurement of carcass and chemical parameters for meat yield and quality analysis of rabbits: a systematic search for alternative source of complete protein. Global Veterinaria 7(1): 83-88. https://idosi.org/gv/GV7(1)11/15.pdf
76. N Alam, M Hossain, M I Khalil, M Moniruzzaman, S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, 2011.High catechin concentrations detected in Withania somnifera (ashwagandha) by high performance liquid chromatography analysis. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 11:65. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-11-65
77. M I Khalil, N Alam, M Moniruzzaman., S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, 2011. Phenolic Acid Composition and Antioxidant Properties of Malaysian Honeys. Journal of Food Science, 76 Nr. 6: C921-928. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02282.x
78. M I Khalil, M M Haque, N Alam, M A Bosunia, and M A Khan, 2011. Production of cellulase by Pleurotus ostreatus and Pleurotus sajor-caju in solid state fermentation of lignocellulosic biomass. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 35: 333-341. doi:10.3906/tar-1002-684
79. M A Mottalib, M Hossain, M I Khalil, S Islam and A Hossain, 2011. Drug susceptibility pattern of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates against conventional anti-tuberculosis drugs in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Saudi Medical Journal, 32 (5): 484-488. Click here
80. M I Khalil, M Mahaneem, S M S Jamalullail, N Alam and S A Sulaiman, 2011. Evaluation of Radical Scavenging Activity and Colour Intensity of Nine Malaysian Honeys of Different Origin. Journal of ApiProduct and ApiMedical Science, 3(1): 04 – 11. doi:10.3896/IBRA.4.03.1.02
81. M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman and S H Gan, 2010. High 5-hydroxymethylfurfural concentrations are found in Malaysian honey samples stored for more than one year. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 48: 2388–2392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.05.076
82. M I Khalil and S A Sulaiman, 2010. The potential role of honey and its polyphenols in preventing heart diseases. Afr Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 7(4): 315-321. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21731163
83. M R Nitu, M I Khalil, M S Hussain, M S Islam, M A Hossain and N Alam, 2010. Studies on the Biochemical Composition of Commercial Citrus Juices and Laboratory Prepared Pineapple Juices. European Journal of Biological Sciences, 2 (1): 09-12. Click here
84. L Majumder, M I Khalil, M K Munshi, M K Alam, H O Rashid, R Begum and N Alam, 2010. Citric Acid Production by Aspergillus niger Using Molasses and Pumpkin as Substrates. European Journal of Biological Sciences, 2 (1): 01-08. Click here
85. M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman, L Boukraa, 2010. Antioxidant properties of honey and its role in preventing health disorder. The Open Nutraceuticals Journal, 3: 6-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/18763960010030100006
86. S Hossain, M I Khalil, M K Alam, M A Khan and N Alam, 2009. Upgrading of animal feed by solid state fermentation by Pleurotus sajor-caju. European Journal of Applied Sciences, 1 (4): 53-58. Click here
87. L Majumder, M I Khalil, M K Munshi, M K Alam, H O Rashid and N Alam, 2009. Gamma-Ray Induced Mutants 14/20 and 79/20 of Aspergillus niger Increases Citric Acid Production from Molasses and Pumpkin. African Journal of Basic & Applied Sciences, 1(1-2): 26-30. Click here
88. M R Nitu, M I Khalil, M S Hussain, M S Islam, and M A Hossain, 2009. A study on the effect of gamma radiation, chemical treatment, and low temperature on the shelf-life of pineapple. Nuclear Science and Applications, 17(1): 108-116. Click here
89. M Tania, M A Khan, R Khatun, M Rahman and M I Khalil, 2009. An investigation on the nutritional composition of unconventional poultry feed resources. Bangladesh Journal of life science, 21(2): 21-28. Click here
90. M A Rahman, T Hossain, S M Ruhul Amin, K A Rahaman, M A Khan and M I Khalil, 2009 (June). Antimicrobial activity of Pleurotus ostreatus (Jacquin ex Fr.) upon human pathogenic bacteria. Bangladesh Journal of Mushroom, 3(1): 15-20. Click here
91. B Uddin, T Nahar, M I Khalil and S Hossain, 2009. In vitro antibacterial activity of the ethanol extract of Paederia foetida L. (Rubiaceae) leaves. Bangladesh Journal of life science, 19(2): 141-143. Click here
92. M K Munshi, L Majumder, M K Alam, M I Khalil, A H Sardar, H Rashid and R Begum, 2008. Fermentation of citric acid by Gamma-Ray Induced 14/20 and 79/20 Mutants strains of Aspergillus niger using starchy substrates. Nuclear Science and Applications, 17(1-2):87-95. https://www.idosi.org/ajn/1(3)12/1.pdf
93. M A Bosunia, M I Khalil, N Alam and A Rahaman, 2007 (December). Effect of polar and non-polar extracts of oyster mushrooms on pathogenic and non-pathogenic fungi. Bangladesh Journal of Mushroom, 1(2): 57-62. Click here
94. M A Mottalib, M I Khalil, J A Haq and M A Hossain, 2007 (December). Evaluation of FASTPlaqueTB test for the rapid diagnosis of Mycobacterium in tuberculosis suspects. Bangladesh Journal of life science, 19(2): 33-37. Click here
95. M I Khalil, M A Mottalib, M Shahjahan and N Absar, 2007 (December). Effect of long term administration of honey in the blood glucose and lipid profile level of non-insulin dependent diabetic patients. Bangladesh Journal of life science, 19(2): 47-53. Click here
96. M I Khalil, 2007. Plasmid profile of common bacterial isolates obtained from environmental samples around Jahangirnagar university campus. Journal of Environmental Science (Dhaka), 5: 95-103. Click here
97. M I Khalil, M Shahjahan and N Absar, 2006. Glycemic response and glycemic index of Bangladeshi honey in type 2 diabetic patients. Malaysian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(1): 13-19. ISI indexed. Click here
98. M I Khalil and N Alam, 2006. Antibacterial activity of oyster mushroom against pathogenic bacteria. Bangladesh Journal of life science, 18(1): 79-83. Click here
99. M A Mottalib, M I Khalil, M Shahjahan and N Absar, 2005. Antifungal activities of different brands of unifloral honey available in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of life science, 17(1): 17-21. Click here
100. Z S Sathi, N Sugimoto, M I Khalil and M A Gafur, 2002. Isolation of a yellowish antibiotic pigment 4-hydroxy nitrobenzene from a strain of streptomyces. Pakistan Journal of biological sciences, 5(2): 201-203. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2002.201.203
101. M I Khalil, M A Mottalib, A S M Anisuzzaman, Z S Sathi, M A Hye and M Shahjahan, 2001. Biochemical analysis of different brands of unifloral honey available at the northern region of Bangladesh, The Sciences, 1(6): 385-388. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/jms.2001.385.388
102. M I Khalil, M A Mottalib, A S M Anisuzzaman, Z S Sathi, M A Hye and M Shahjahan, 2001. Antibacterial activities of different brands of unifloral honey available at the northern region of Bangladesh. Journal of Medical Sciences, 1(6): 389‑392. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/jms.2001.389.392
103. M A Mottalib, M I Khalil, M Hossain and M Shahjahan, 2000. Characterization of erythromycin resistant Streptococcus pyogenes responsible for pharyngitis and tonsillitis. Journal of Biological Sciences, 8: 37-43. Click here
104. M I Khalil, M Shahjahan and A S M Anisuzzaman, 2000. Molecular characterization of erythromycin resistance in Streptococcus pyogenes. Bangladesh Journal of Genetics and Biotechnology, 1(1): 85-91. Click here
- R Afroz, R Ahmed, E M Tanvir, N Karim, M I Khalil. Cardioprotective potential of bee propolis against isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in rat model. 4th AYUNS International Ayurvedic Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 5th March 2016.
- S Paul, S Das, S H Gan, M I Khalil. Amelioration of isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in rats by Citrus marcoptera peel and pulp ethanolic extract. International Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 03-06 October 2015.
- M B Prince, M S Hossain, M Y Ali, S Paul, N Karim, S H Gan, M I Khalil. Amelioration of carbofuran induced toxicity in rats by oral administration of two mushroom samples: Ganoderma lucidum and Auricularia auricular. International Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 03-06 October 2015.
- S H Gan, M M Rahman, M I Khalil. Antioxidants in Degenerative Diseases: Special Focus on Honey. 1st National University of Malaysia (UKM). 3rd-4th June 2015.
- M I Khalil, I Ahmmed, R Ahmed, E M Tanvir, R Afroz, S Paul, S H Gan, N Alam. Antioxidative role of Withania somnifera on Isoproterenol-Induced Myocardial Infarction in Rats. 1st National University of Malaysia (UKM). 3rd-4th June 2015.
- R Afroz, E M Tanvir, S Paul, S H Gan, M I Khalil. Antioxidant and DNA damage inhibition properties of Sundarban honey. 1st National University of Malaysia (UKM). 3rd-4th June 2015.
- M I Khalil 2012. Honey as anticancer. National Homeopathic Cancer Congress 30 Nov.-1st Dec., 2012, Bangladesh Homeopathic Cancer Society, Dhaka, Bangladesh. (invited speaker).
- M Moniruzzaman, M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman, S H Gan, 2012. Physicochemical and antioxidant status of Malaysian pineapple honey compared to tualang honey. 17th National Conference on Medical and Health Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Health Campus, Kelantan, Malaysia.
- M A Mottalib, T A Sultana, M. I. Khalil, M S Islam, S Choudhury and M A Hossain. Phase distribution of chronic myeloid leukemia in Bangladesh. National conference on “Current Trends in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Research in Bangladesh”. 25-26 February, 2012. Rajshahi University, Bangladesh.
- M Moniruzzaman, M I Khalil, B Rokeya, S A Sulaiman, S H Gan, 2011. Antioxidant properties of three different extracts of Aloe vera. 16th National Conference on Medical and Health Sciences, Page-118; 22-23;
- M I Khalil, N Ramli, M Mohamed, Saringat Baie, S A Sulaiman, 2010. Phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of Malaysian Tualang honey. Journal of ApiProduct & ApiMedical Science, 2 (1): 56.
- M I Khalil, S A Sulaiman, S H Gan, 2010. Determination of 5-hydroxymethylfurfural content in ten Malaysian honeys. Journal of ApiProduct & ApiMedical Science, 2 (1): 44
- M A Mottalib, M I Khalil, A Hye and M Shahjahan, 2000. A Survey on the Biochemical and antibacterial studies of different brands of honey available at the Northern Region of Bangladesh. Asian symposium of medicinal plants, spices and other natural products. Dhaka, Bangladesh.
N Alam, M M Hossain, M I Khalil 2015. Antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of Withania somnifera. Lambert Academic Publishing. 978-3-659-59590-5.
M I Khalil, N Alam, 2013. Chapter 17: Honey as Nutrient, Book: Honey in Traditional and Modern Medicine. Taylor & Francis, CRC press, 6000 broken sound parkway, NW, p 380-408.
Degree: Bachelors of Science (BSc) Honors
Degree: Masters of Science (MSc)
Position: Upazila Program Officer
Period: 17 August 2000 to 30 June 2002
Position: Coordinating Officer
Period: 13 August 2002 to 29 September 2004
Period: 30 September 2004 to 16 May 2006
Position: Assistant Professor
Period: 17 May 2006 to 25 August 2010
Period: 16 January 2008 to 5 May 2009
Position: Associate Professor
Period: August 2010 to 24 March 2015
Period: 25 March 2015 to Present
Position: Visiting Research Fellow
Period: 17 November 2014 - 16 November 2018
Position: USM-TWAS Visiting Research Fellow
Period: 20 May 2013 - 19 August 2013
Position: Postdoctoral Fellow
Period: 07 May 2009 - 6 May 2012