I am Dr. Mashura Shammi, serving as an Associate Professor at the Department of Environmental Sciences, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. I had completed B.Sc. (honours) and M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences from Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. I had completed Ph.D. in Ecology from the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) by the funding of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and The World Academy of Sciences (CAS-TWAS) President’s Fellowship Program in 2017. I was a fellow of the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and completed an international training program on Strategic Environmental Assessment ITP-SEA, 2017B Asia. I am the coordinator of the ITP-SEA Alumni Network (SEAN) Bangladesh. In addition, I am a fellow of the Organization of Women in Science for the Developing Worlds (OWSD) Early career women scientist (ECWS) 2019-2020 on “Anthropogenic Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emission and carbon dynamics in the Ganges River, Bangladesh”. I was also a fellow of Eco-Peace Leadership Center (EPLC)-Asia in 2018-2019. I have a keen interest in environmental interdisciplinary research such as biogeochemistry of salinity intrusion, climate change, and environmental assessment.
I have several peer-reviewed publications that are available in Google Scholar and ResearchGate.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=27pttNgAAAAJ
1. Shammi, M., Rahman, M.M., Ali, M.L., Khan, A.S.M., Siddique, M.A.B., Ashadudzaman, M., Bodrud-Doza, M., Alam, G. and Tareq, S.M., 2021. Application of short and rapid strategic environmental assessment (SEA) for biomedical waste management in Bangladesh. Case Studies in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, p.100177.
2. Akter, S., Shammi, M., Jolly, Y.N., Sakib, A.A., Rahman, M.M. and Tareq, S.M. (2021). Characterization and photodegradation pathway of the leachate of Matuail sanitary landfill site, Dhaka South City Corporation, Bangladesh. Heliyon, p.e07924.
3. Shammi, M., Rahman M.M. and Tareq S.M. (2021) Distribution of Bioaerosols in Association With Particulate Matter: A Review on Emerging Public Health Threat in Asian Megacities. Front. Environ. Sci. 9:698215. doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2021.698215
4. Tasnim, U.F., Shammi, M., Uddin, M.K. and Akbor, M.A., (2021). Effect of Biochar Amended Vermicomposting of Food and Beverage Industry Sludge along with Cow dung and Seed Germination Bioassay. Pollution, 7(2), pp.355-365. DOI: 10.22059/poll.2021.315530.961
5. Shammi, M., Behal, A., & Tareq, S.M. (2021) The escalating biomedical waste management to control the environmental transmission of COVID-19 pandemic: a perspective from two South Asian countries. Environmental Science & Technology, 55, 7, 4087–4093. doi:10.1021/acs.est.0c05117
- Shammi, M. & Tareq, S.M. (2020) Environmental Catastrophe of COVID-19: Disposal and Management of PPE in Bangladesh. Global Social Welfare doi:10.1007/s40609-020-00195-z
- Islam, A.R.M.T., Hasanuzzaman, M., Shammi, M., Salam, R., Bodrud-Doza, M., Rahman, M.M., Mannan, M.A. and Huq, S. (2020) Are meteorological factors enhancing COVID-19 transmission in Bangladesh? Novel findings from a compound Poisson generalized linear modeling approach. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-020-11273-2
- Rahman, M.M. Bodrud-Doza, M., Shammi, M., Islam, A.R.M.T. (2021) COVID-19 pandemic, dengue epidemic, and climate change vulnerability in Bangladesh: Scenario assessment for strategic management and policy implications. Environmental Research,192: 110303. 10.1016/j.envres.2020.110303
- Kohinoor Begum, Takashi Motobayashi, Nazmul Hasan, Kwame Sarpong Appiah, Mashura Shammi and Yoshiharu Fujii. (2020). Indigo as a Plant Growth Inhibitory Chemical from the Fruit Pulp of Couroupita guianensis Aubl. Agronomy, 10(9):1388. Doi: 10.3390/agronomy10091388
- Shammi, M., Bodrud-Doza, M., Islam, A.R.M.T. and Rahman, M.M. (2020). Strategic assessment of COVID-19 pandemic in Bangladesh: comparative lockdown scenario analysis, public perception, and management for sustainability. Environment Development and Sustainability, DOI: 10.1007/s10668-020-00867-y
- Bodrud-Doza, M., Shammi, M., Bahlman, L., Islam, A.R.M.T. and Rahman, M.M. Psychosocial and Socio-Economic Crisis in Bangladesh Due to COVID-19 Pandemic: A Perception-Based Assessment. Front. Public Health, 2020, 8:341. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.00341
- Shammi, M., Robi, M.R. & Tareq, S.M. COVID-19: socio-environmental challenges of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh. J Environ Health Sci Engineer, 18, 1709–1711(2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40201-020-00489-6
- Shammi, M., Bodrud-Doza, M., Islam, A.R.M.T. and Rahman, M.M. COVID-19 pandemic, socioeconomic crisis and human stress in resource-limited settings: A case from Bangladesh. Heliyon, 2020, p.e04063.
- Shammi, M., Das, A., Salma, U., Sakib, A.A., Rahman, M.M. (2020) Effectiveness of Adaptation Measures for Reducing the Effect of Salinity Intrusion in Agriculture Practice: A Case study from Kolapara Upazila, Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Research, 11, 38-54.
- Mashura Shammi, Mohammad Mahin, Rahman, M.M. (2020) Assessment of Tourist Profile and Tourism Carrying Capacity of Jahangirnagar University Campus. Jahangirnagar University Environmental Bulletin 7, 1-12
- Rahman, M.M., Rana, M.M., Tasnim, S., Shammi, M. (2020). Mental Stress on Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students at Public and Private Universities in Bangladesh during Covid-19 Pandemic. Jahangirnagar University Environmental Bulletin 7, 31-38
- Rahman, M.M., Bodrud-Doza, M., Muhib, M.I., Hossain, K.F.B., Sikder, M.T., Shammi, M., Akter, R. and Uddin, M.K. Human health risk assessment of nitrate and trace metals via groundwater in central Bangladesh. Pollution, 2020, 6(2), pp.263-276.
- Shammi, M., Sultana, A., Hasan, N., Rahman, M.M., Islam, M.S., Bodrud-Doza, M. and Uddin, M.K. Pesticide exposures towards health and environmental hazard in Bangladesh: A case study on farmers’ perception. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences, 2020, 19(2), 161-173; doi.org/10.1016/j.jssas.2018.08.005
19. Kohinoor Begum, Mashura Shammi, Nazmul Hasan, Kwame Sarpong Appiah, Yoshiharu Fujii.Evaluation of Potential Volatile Allelopathic Plants from Bangladesh, with Sapindus mukorossi as a Candidate Species. Agronomy 2020, 10(1), 49; https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy10010049
20. Kohinoor Begum, Mashura Shammi, Nazmul Hasan, Asaduzzaman, Kwame Sarpong Appiah, Yoshiharu Fujii. Potential Allelopathic Candidates for Land Use and Possible Sustainable Weed Management in South Asian Ecosystem. Sustainability 2019. 11 (9), 2649. DOI: 10.3390/su11092649
- M Shammi, M Rahman, SE Bondad, M Bodrud-Doza. Impacts of Salinity Intrusion in Community Health: A Review of Effectiveness of Adaptation Measures to Decrease Drinking Water Sodium (DWS) from Coastal Areas of Bangladesh. Healthcare 2019, 7, 50; doi:10.3390/healthcare7010050
- Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Mobarok Hossain, Kaniz Fatima Binte Hossain, Md. Tajuddin Sikder, Mashura Shammi, Md.Rasheduzzaman, M Anwar Hossain, AKM Mahbubul Alam, M Khabir Uddin. Effects of NaCl-Salinity on Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) Plants in Pot Experiment. Open Agriculture 2018,3,578-585.
- Shammi, M., Pan, X.L., Mostofa, KM.G., Zhang D, Liu, C.Q. Song, W. Investigating extracellular polymeric substances from microbial mat upon exposure to sunlight. Polymer Degradation and Stability 2017, 146. DOI: 0.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2017.10.011 Impact factor: 3.4
- Shammi, M., Pan, X., Mostofa, K. M., Zhang, D., & Liu, C. Q. Photo-flocculation of microbial mat extracellular polymeric substances and their transformation into transparent exopolymer particles: Chemical and spectroscopic evidences. Scientific Reports, 2017, 7. Impact factor: 4.2
- Shammi, M., Pan, X.L., Mostofa, KM.G., Zhang D, Liu, C.Q. Seasonal variations and characteristics differences in the fluorescent components of extracellular polymeric substances from mixed biofilms in saline lake. Science Bulletin 2017, 62:764-766. Impact factor: 1.7
- Mashura Shammi, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Md. Atikul Islam, Md. Bodrud-Doza, Anwar Zahid, Yeasmin Akter, Samia Quaiyum, Masaaki Kurasaki. Spatio-temporal assessment and trend analysis of surface water salinity in the coastal region of Bangladesh. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 2017. DOI 10.1007/s11356-017-8976-7. Impact factor: 2.7
- Mashura Shammi, Nazmul Hasan, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Kohinoor Begum, Md. Tajuddin Sikder, Md. Khabir Uddin. Sustainable pesticide governance in Bangladesh: socio-economic and legal status interlinking environment, occupational health and food safety. Environment Systems and Decisions 2017. 1-18. DOI:10.1007/s10669-017-9628-7. Impact factor: 0.4
- Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Mashura Shammi, M Anwar Hossain, Md.Tajuddin Sikder, Masaaki Kurasaki, Md. Khabir Uddin: Removal of Pollutants from Water by Using Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes (SWCNTs) and Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWCNTs). Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 2017. 42(1):261-269. DOI:10.1007/s13369-016-2303-3
- Md. Atikul Islam, Anwar Zahid, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Mashura Shammi, Md. Bodrud-Doza: Investigation of Groundwater Quality and Its Suitability for Drinking and Agricultural Use in the South Central Part of the Coastal Region in Bangladesh. Water Quality Exposure and Health 2017. 9(1):27-41. DOI:10.1007/s12403-016-0220-z
- Iftekharul Muhib, Muhammed Alamgir Zaman Chowdhury, Nushrat Jakarin Easha, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Mashura Shammi, Zeenath Fardous, Mohammad Latiful Bari, M Khabir Uddin, Masaaki Kurasaki, Md Khorshed Alam: Investigation of heavy metal contents in Cow milk samples from area of Dhaka, Bangladesh. International Journal of Food Contamination 2016. 3(1):16. DOI:10.1186/s40550-016-0039-1
- Mashura Shammi, Rasadur Rahman, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Md. Moniruzzaman, Md. Bodrud-Doza, Bikash Karmakar, M. Khabir Uddin: Assessment of salinity hazard in existing water resources for irrigation and potentiality of conjunctive uses: a case report from Gopalganj District, Bangladesh. 2016. 2(4):369-378. DOI:10.1007/s40899-016-0064-5
- Badrun Nessa, Md.Mostafizur Rahman, Mashura Shammi, Mubarak Ahmad Khan, Khabir M Uddin: Impact of textile sludge on the growth of red amaranth (Amaranthus gangeticus). International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture 2016. 5(2):163-172. DOI:10.1007/s40093-016-0126-6
- Mashura Shammi, Mohammad Abul Kashem, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Md. Delwar Hossain, Rashadur Rahman, M. Khabir Uddin: Health risk assessment of textile effluent reuses as irrigation water in leafy vegetable Basella alba. International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture 2016. 5(2).113-123, DOI:10.1007/s40093-016-0122-x
- Mashura Shammi, B. Karmakar, M. M. Rahman, M. S. Islam, R. Rahman, M. K. Uddin: Assessment of Salinity Hazard of Irrigation Water Quality in Monsoon Season of Batiaghata Upazila, Khulna District, Bangladesh and adaptation strategies. Pollution 2016. 2(2).183-197.
- Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Mashura Shammi, Tanveer Ahmed, Masahiro Maruo, Masaaki Kurasaki, Khabir M Uddin: Assessment of the Status of Groundwater Arsenic at Singair Upazila, Manikganj Bangladesh; Exploring the Correlation with Other Metals and Ions. Water Quality Exposure and Health 2016. 8(2): 217-225. DOI:10.1007/s12403-016-0196-8
- Md. Islam, M. Uddin, Shafi Tareq, Mashura Shammi, Abdul Kamal, Tomohiro Sugano, Masaaki Kurasaki, Takeshi Saito, Shunitz Tanaka, Hideki Kuramitz: Alteration of Water Pollution Level with the Seasonal Changes in Mean Daily Discharge in Three Main Rivers around Dhaka City, Bangladesh. Environments 2015. 2(3):280-294. DOI:10.3390/environments2030280
- Md. Tajuddin Sikder, Tanaka S, Saito T, Hosokawa T, Gumiri S, Ardianor, Uddin MK, Tareq SM, Shammi M, Kamal AKI, Kurasaki M: Vulnerability assessment of surface water quality with an innovative integrated multi-parameter water quality index (IMWQI). Pollution 2015. 1(3):333-346.
- Mashura Shammi, G. M. Jainal Abedin Bhuiya, Abdul Kadir Ibne Kamal, Md. Rashadur Rahman, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, and M. Khabir Uddin. 2012. Investigation of Salinity Occurrences in Kumar-Madhumati River of Gopalganj District, Bangladesh. Journal of Nature Science and Sustainable Technology 2012. 6(4):299-314.
Book Chapter Contribution
Mashura Shammi, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Mohammed Mofizur Rahman (2020) Desalination technologies for water security. “Water Pollution and Remediation Technology: Heavy Metal Pollutants”. Springer. Series Title: Environ. Chemistry for Sustainable World, Volume Number: 53, Book Title: Water Pollution and Remediation: Heavy Metals. ISBN:978-3-030-52420-3
Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Rubaiya Akter, Mashura Shammi (2020) Unconventional adsorbents for metal pollution remediation from the water environment. “Water Pollution and Remediation Technology: Heavy Metal Pollutants”. Springer”. Springer. Series Title: Environ. Chemistry for Sustainable World, Volume Number: 53, Book Title: Water Pollution and Remediation: Heavy Metals. ISBN:978-3-030-52420-3
MM Rahman, ARMT Islam, M Shammi (2021) Emerging trends of water quality monitoring and applications of multivariate tools. In: Water Engineering Modeling and Mathematic Tools. Elsevier
M Shammi, MM Rahman (2021) Desalination technologies and potential mathematical modeling for sustainable water–energy nexus. In: Water Engineering Modeling and Mathematic Tools. Elsevier
Shammi, M., 2021. Integrating Desalination Systems. In Sustainable Materials and Systems for Water Desalination (pp. 69-78). Springer, Cham.
Webinar on "Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA): A Potential Tool of Future Sustainability". 30 November 2020, Dhaka. Co-Funded by Erasmus+ CBHE SEA-ASIA program
“Strategic tourism impact management in the Chittagong hill tracts (CHT) region, Bangladesh”. Mashura Shammi, Asef Jahan. The 5th International Conference on Mountains in the Changing World October 8-9, 2020. Online, ZOOM Platform, Kathmandu, Nepal
“Antimicrobial resistance (AMR/AR) and ecological fitness” & “Antimicrobial resistance (AMR/AR) from environmental pollution among emerging health events”. Officers’ Training Institute, Savar, Dhaka. 2019, 2020.
Vermicomposting of food and beverage industry sludges with biochar amendment for agricultural soil improvement. Asia Pacific Environment forum 2018, Kangwon National University, Republic of South Korea, October 18-20, 2018.
“Climate Change and Salinity Problem in Bangladesh”. GEM (Global Environmental Management) Seminar, Division of Environmental Science Development, Graduate School of Environmental Science, Hokkaido University, Japan. October 23, 2012.
“Aquatic pollution in the deltaic floodplain of Bangladesh and their implications to the ecological health management”. UGC-Bangladesh-JSPS project report presentation. Department of Environmental Sciences, Jahangirnagar University Bangladesh. 14 March 2013.
Md. Mostafizur Rahman, Md. Bodrud-Doza & Mashura Shammi. The Business Standards. 4th June 2020.The potential risks of climate vulnerability and dengue amid Covid-19
Mashura Shammi & Md. Bodrud-doza. The Business Standard. 6th May 2020. Newspaper-article on COVID-19- "Lockdown: to withdraw not to withdraw?"
Biogeochemistry of microbial biofilms, climate change and salinity intrusion; environmental pollution monitoring
|Course Code||Course Title||Semester/Year|
|ENV 5312||Occupational Health and Environmental Safety||2010, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 (2nd semester)|
|Env- 3112||Sustainable Development||1st semester (2020)|
|ENV- 425||Environmental Impact Assessments and Auditing||2019, 2020|
|ENV 310||Industrial pollution & mitigation||2017, 2018, 2019|
|ENV 475||Research Methodology||2018|
|ENV 485||ENVIRONMENTAL LAWS, PROTOCOLS AND ETHICS||2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2019|
|WMES-104||Environmental Ethics, Regulations and Policies||2018 , 2019, 2020, 2021|
|WMES-213||Industrial Chemical and Biological Safety Management||2018, 2019, 2020|
Period: June 2017-September 2018
Advanced International Training on Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
PhD in Ecology (Biogeochemistry)
MS in Environmental Sciences
BSc (Hons) in Environmental Sciences
Position: Associate Professor
Period: November 2017- February 2022
Position: Asisstant Professor
Period: August 2012-November 2017
Period: July 2009-August 2012
Period: October 2008-July 2009
Position: Topic Editor of special issue "Hydrobiogeochemistry of Major Asian Rivers"
Period: Jan 2021-November 2021
For more information
Position: Trainer on Strategic Environmental Assessment
Period: 4-7 March, 2021
For the first time in Bangladesh, I have conducted an "Introduction on SEA and its methodology" for the 9 sectoral ministry representatives and other governmental bodies.
Position: Project Leader-JU Side
The Erasmus+ SEA-ASIA programme 2019-2022 consists of a consortium of nine universities;
University of Gothenburg (UGOT), Sweden
Aalborg University, Denmark
Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
National University of Laos, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Savannakhet University, Savannakhet, Lao PDR
Thuyloi University, Hanoi, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City University of Natural Resources, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
The Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh is represented by Dr. Mashura Shammi, project leader and Steering committee representative of Erasmus+ SEA-ASIA of Jahangirnagar University.
Fore more information
Position: Principal investigator
Period: January 2019- June 2021
Position: Principal investigator
Period: September 2018- November 2019
Position: SIDA Fellow
SIDA fellow on "Strategic Environmental Assessment"